News.

365 Sonnets is completed! While there be no more new posts, feel free to read the sonnets and comment! :)

You can read my new poetry at Some Turbid Night: http://someturbidnight.blogspot.ca/ :)

Friday, July 18, 2008

Sonnet CC

I used to live in Texas long ago.
The weather always shined so languorously.
In fall, there was a fleeting little breeze
and winter was a joke – there was no snow.
Our small apartment was beside a road
with palm trees bordering, so slim and high.
The flat was small and filled with moths and flies,
and cockroaches had pestered the abode.
Longfellow Elementary School was near,
and dusty baseball parks were near as well.
I came home daily, watching Spanish shows
and missed my mom, who wasn’t very near.
She studied in Purdue, said she was well,
and kissed her letters, sending lipstick home.

2 comments:

  1. This Texan likes your descriptions of your Texas home.

    I have an idea for you. Your posts don't show up as new posts on my blog roll because they are back-dated. If you could post it with today's date then immediately edit it with the back date, I believe it would stay on my blog roll as a new post (based on my experience.) Then I'd know when you have a new poem.

    CONGRATS on #CC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh.....that would work. I'm always amazed at your incredibly insightful ideas! Thanks a lot for the tip. I've never thought of that!

    Texan?? Details, Beth!

    Ahahahaha CC :) Merci buckets...now I'll be writing French sonnets (French-style...not in French, oops) in iambic hexameter starting tomorrow. Should be interesting!

    ReplyDelete

A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.

I say it just
Begins to live
That day.

- Emily Dickinson

Thanks, Wordle!