News.

365 Sonnets is completed! While there be no more new posts, feel free to read the sonnets and comment! :)

You can read my new poetry at Some Turbid Night: http://someturbidnight.blogspot.ca/ :)

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Sonnet XXXIV

I feel as if I’m wandering culturally,
Although my heritage is plain to see.
I cannot read the words that many read,
Specifically the one my parents do.

But born in Canada, and with other ties,
I’m bound to be more Anglicized.
However, I’m still judged as “white” by friends –
The Asian ones – who don’t know why I’m less.

But now, my culture’s come from many ways,
I guess it’s where I’m from and how I’m raised.
Appearances are deceptive though;
From Edmonton, but still, I look Chinese!

It’s hard to be a race, but raised elsewhere,
Stuck in both worlds - and all in both shall stare.

1 comment:

  1. Inspired by my Asian friends who make fun of me for not being "Asian enough" (I can read / write only a few characters in Chinese) and call me a banana. And also, I'm noticeably different from white friends because I'm a visible minority! Life can be interesting stuck in two cultural worlds...

    ReplyDelete

A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.

I say it just
Begins to live
That day.

- Emily Dickinson

Thanks, Wordle!