News.

365 Sonnets is completed! While there be no more new posts, feel free to read the sonnets and comment! :)

You can read my new poetry at Some Turbid Night: http://someturbidnight.blogspot.ca/ :)

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sonnet CCXXXVI

The sky of snow is vast, surrounding me in white.
It’s dotted with its stars, my footprints in the snow.
The constellations shine; my feet shall make them grow;
my feet create the stars; my treading spreads the light.

If constellations live, and sleep not in the night,
but spread my fame about, in sheets of whitened snow,
perhaps I am the Bear, cast up in stars below,
eternal on the earth, but fleeting with the night.

Remember me like this: though footprints disappear,
emblazon me in night, where all can nightly peer.

And if the day comes soon, surmount my daily tread;
forget the noise I made, but follow memory.
And if disloyalty obscures nocturnal me,
I live but die in rage, eternally undead.

1 comment:

  1. Here, I utilized the traditional way of treating iambic hexameter, dividing the twelve syllables into two equal groups of six lines (i.e. using commas, semicolons, colons...) It gives the poem a nice rhythmic flow and (wait, there's more!) the line "And if disloyalty obscures nocturnal me..." omits the divisions, thus "obscuring" the line (haha).

    Enjoy :) I added "snow" to the blog for a festive flair although beware - this blog now takes 2.7 seconds longer to load! (Maybe more! Gasp...)

    ReplyDelete

A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.

I say it just
Begins to live
That day.

- Emily Dickinson

Thanks, Wordle!