News.

365 Sonnets is completed! While there be no more new posts, feel free to read the sonnets and comment! :)

You can read my new poetry at Some Turbid Night: http://someturbidnight.blogspot.ca/ :)

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sonnet CCXXXIII

“DIVORCE” was not a word that Adam heard before.
He first encountered it when he was five or six.
Remembering his mommy’s voice in little hicks,
she told him Daddy wasn’t coming anymore.
He left for good: he packed his bags and shut the door.
Although they had divorced, she didn’t feel a fix
for sadness in her heart. And Adam was a mix –
confused and sad. But never did he ask for more.

At Christmas, Adam asked his mommy, puzzled, sad,
why Santa Claus had stopped to come – or was he mad?

And Mommy gently said that Santa loves him still,
but doesn’t have a lot of time or money now.
And Mommy gently kissed him on his little brow
and promised him she loves him. And she always will.

7 comments:

  1. Awwwww your sonnets are created with such grace!!

    Fortunately, the sanctity of marriage still has an impact on people. I have friends in their 30s who can barely breathe because they struggle with their parents separating.

    Children can't rationalize it and they feel the impact even more.

    You've captured a heartache in nutshell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I aim for *Simplicity* :) Sorry for the awful pun! You can only imagine the ones I've endured on "Fan" :)

    Fortunately...my parents are very, very happily married! I really felt so upset however, about a child I knew a few years ago whose parents went through a nasty divorce. It's really heartbreaking to see what the kids have to go through at such a young age - with really no control over what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From where came the inspiration to this poem? Divorce can be really bad for couples that have children

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susie. I wrote a few sonnets based on Christmas from different perspectives. I'm not too sure how this one was inspired, but I wanted to write sonnets from the point of view of a woman, father, and child, so I thought it natural to explore the emotions of a child with divorced parents. Obviously, there's a lot of emotion involved and that's why I wanted to explore the emotion from the child's perspective. The idea of Christmas, I thought, adds to the emotional impact of the sonnet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately a poem a whole lot of people would relate to. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Beth. Divorce is such a sad topic and definitely something that affects a lot of people negatively.

    ReplyDelete

A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.

I say it just
Begins to live
That day.

- Emily Dickinson

Thanks, Wordle!