News.

365 Sonnets is completed! While there be no more new posts, feel free to read the sonnets and comment! :)

You can read my new poetry at Some Turbid Night: http://someturbidnight.blogspot.ca/ :)

Monday, June 16, 2008

Sonnet CLXVIII

At times the kids who sit up at the front
are kinder, less annoying – more like kids.
I hear their games and happy laughs amidst
the roaring of the bus, a churning gun.
And wondering, when I had had that fun
if I appreciated it. I miss
that joy and carefree, careless happiness.

Nostalgic, missing all those things a ton.

I want to join their games of puns and rhymes.
I want to sit, belong to something too.
I want to search the world for hints and clues...

But now I’m older, not just youthful nine.

I’m independent now because I grew

and never to return to what I knew

1 comment:

  1. I isolated the "Nostalgic, missing all those things a ton." line to isolates its heaviness from the carefree childrens' scene above it. "But now I'm older, not just youthful nine." is a sadly definite statement, while the last two lines are independent, lonely, floating, haunting phrases left alone.

    ReplyDelete

A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.

I say it just
Begins to live
That day.

- Emily Dickinson

Thanks, Wordle!