News.

365 Sonnets is completed! While there be no more new posts, feel free to read the sonnets and comment! :)

You can read my new poetry at Some Turbid Night: http://someturbidnight.blogspot.ca/ :)

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Sonnet CLXIV

Her name was Mary Jones, I think.
And though my school was private, pious, old –
she never filled the Virgin Mary role
and just was wicked, female, crudely mean.

She drove the bus I rode each day to school,
arriving early to my house at times but then
arriving late at times. In bitter wind
I perished, cursing her as vile, cruel.

But then she gave me candy canes at times
like Christmas, Easter, days before March Break.
But still I loathed her – sloppy, late, and glum.
She thought she’d win us over with her lies?
Her sad excuses covering her fake
and sad, disgusting life? We kids weren’t dumb.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I tried to link her name "Mary" to the "Virgin Mary" idea and further relate that to the fact I went to a religious, private school, but it didn't work that great considering the rhyming probably ruined it. I might tweak it later.

    A note: her first name was actually Mary, but if you have a suggestion for another, made-up, one-syllable last name, I'd be glad to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was probably my 5th grade teacher, in a new career as a bus driver. ;)

    ReplyDelete

A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.

I say it just
Begins to live
That day.

- Emily Dickinson

Thanks, Wordle!