News.

365 Sonnets is completed! While there be no more new posts, feel free to read the sonnets and comment! :)

You can read my new poetry at Some Turbid Night: http://someturbidnight.blogspot.ca/ :)

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sonnet CXLIII

I think I must have moody SAD:
I’m happier in summer, less in spring,
depressed in autumn, looking at the trees
as quietly they die and cold they bring,
and almost suicidal when the freeze
of winter comes. When cold and wetness ring
my doorbell, then I know that grief, for me
has melancholy melodies to sing.

What shall I do but wait for warmth to come?
I’ll turn to music, art, and poetry
and other human joys and human bliss!
I’ll circle all the rounds of happy rum,
intoxicated with life’s saccharine.

And then again, what is true happiness?

1 comment:

  1. The second "stanza" is influenced by the first few lines of "Sempre libera!", one of my favourite opera arias:

    "Sempre libera degg'io
    Folleggiar di gioia in gioia,
    Vo' che scorra il viver mio
    Pei sentieri del piacer,
    Nasca il giorno, o il giorno muoia!"


    "Free and aimless I must flutter
    From pleasure to pleasure,
    Skimming the surface
    Of life's primrose path!"

    ReplyDelete

A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.

I say it just
Begins to live
That day.

- Emily Dickinson

Thanks, Wordle!