News.

365 Sonnets is completed! While there be no more new posts, feel free to read the sonnets and comment! :)

You can read my new poetry at Some Turbid Night: http://someturbidnight.blogspot.ca/ :)

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Sonnet CXXIV

My aching throat, you pain me so today.
Why don’t you just surrender graciously?
You cannot win; you might as well go play
with hic-cups, screams, and vocal trickery.

I miss the days we sang the livelong day,
recited poems, speeches - writ by me -
the times we shrieked and acted in those plays -
What lovely times we had, how happily!

Today is different; you’re a pain today.
You torture me and cruelly punish me.

You’ve hounded me with wheezing coughs all day,
with pains and aches and itchy phlegm I sneeze...

What happened to the joyous times we shared?
The merry songs, our lovely treasury?

1 comment:

  1. The second group of lines uses the same rhyme scheme as the first to indicate a nostalgic look back to happy times :)

    ReplyDelete

A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.

I say it just
Begins to live
That day.

- Emily Dickinson

Thanks, Wordle!