News.

365 Sonnets is completed! While there be no more new posts, feel free to read the sonnets and comment! :)

You can read my new poetry at Some Turbid Night: http://someturbidnight.blogspot.ca/ :)

Sunday, December 05, 2010

Sonnet CCCL

I stand, exhilarated, on the hills –
I burn with new and sprightly inner fire!
The winds of autumn cannot bind my will:
my yearning glance ignites with strange desire!
With fierce furore, these eyes will never tire –
I search the turbid skies for signs of warmth.
Beloved summer! Ever-tuneful lyre!
To leap into those warm and loving arms!


I’ll wait, unloved, forlorn, as lovers are,
but only when your promise sings again
will you return, melodious and warm –
and only then will carefree folly reign,
my foolish heart revived once more to mirth.
And only then will blossoms fill the earth!

4 comments:

  1. You must be cold up there these days. :) I like this--a different take on the theme of longing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am! I think maybe I have SAD - Seasonally affective disorder? My autumn/winter sonnets are always so much darker and more melancholy than my spring/summer sonnets. It's actually a little bit funny! In a weird way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it a lot when proximate stresses fall on the same vowel-sound: "exhilarated" and "hills" in line 1; "search" and "turbid" in line 6; "beloved" and "summer" in line 7. As a reader, I live for these subtle sonic echoes within the line (assonance, I think)!

    And of course, I love the optimistic note on which the poem ends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and I like it lot when people are so observant! :) Well, all the words you mentioned do have tremendous significance for me...I'm terribly careful with my word choice...and I'm glad when it's appreciated. For me, just the right word can make a world of difference in the feel of the poem. But the way words feel together in terms of rhythm and syllable sounds is also important for me because from an aesthetic standpoint, my opinion is that a poem (especially a sonnet) needs to be pleasing to hear and to read. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete

A word is dead
When it is said,
Some say.

I say it just
Begins to live
That day.

- Emily Dickinson

Thanks, Wordle!